BETRAYAL Episode 73

BETRAYAL Episode 73
 Mike followed me into my room, sat on my bed and crossed his legs. “isn’t it time you start leaving, it’s past six already?” i asked coldly, while he shrugged and yawned. “i see you are all out to provoke me today, but why?” he asked with a mild tone, “because you have been provoking me lately and i’m equally not in the right frame of mind this moment. Dad had an accident and he is helplessly lying at st Mary’s hospital, so please let me be” i lamented and robbed my eyes. He gasped and held me, lines of shock and surprise appeared on his face as he stared down at me. He appeared genuinely touched. “why didn’t you call to inform me earlier?” he murmured as he
held me. I broke free from him, “how do you expect me to call you, when it’s obvious you are still having a good time with your baby mama?” i accused. He swallowed hard. “i know you aren’t thinking properly right now, i better leave so that you can freshen up, sleep and get yourself back. Good night dearie” he said to me, planted a kiss on my forehead and left without another word. Early the next day, i headed back to the hospital. My heart flew, when i got to the ward and saw Mike seriously chatting with mum and dad. He never told me he was coming.However dad was in lively spirit, so was mum, leaving me with no choice than to relax. I walked up to them, greeting. “how was your night?” my parents asked. I shrugged and smiled, “i couldn’t sleep because i was worried” i replied as i gave Mike a strange glance, which made him shift uncomfortably. My phone rang soon after, breaking my attention as i reached for it. “hello Benjamin” i greeted as i answered the call. A slight frown appeared on Mike’s face as soon as he heard me call Benjamin’s name. “mum told me your dad was involved in an accident, i tried calling you last night but couldn’t get you. How is he?” he asked, “oh he’s getting better, though we are still at the hospital. St Mary’s along the school road” i replied, “my mum and i are coming over right away” he replied, surprising me, “oh no you guys shouldn’t bother” i murmured, “we are coming ooo” he replied and hung up while Mike silently stared at me. We said nothing to each other even though we had alot to say. 11:30am, Amara walked into the ward with Chike by her side, i was extremely surprised to see both of them, especially Chike because i knew he came for my sake. I was nervous as i watched them draw closer, while Mike and my mother exchanged glances. My heart pounded furiously as i equally remembered that Benjamin and his mum were also on their way to the hospital. “oh no!” i gasped.Amara sensing the tensed atmosphere in the room didn’t allow Chike to spend nothing but few minutes with us before politely dragging him away, but the few minutes he spent with us however didn’t stop him from giving his feelings away by the manner he stared at me, which Mike noticed. He however never made any silly remark, probably because of my parents presence and the environment we were in, but it never stopped me nor any curious person nearby from guessing what was going on in his mind. His behaviour and restlessness revealed everything. Mike really was extremely overwhelmed by Chike’s boldness or should i say alarmed over all he witnessed, but his surprise and fury further heightened when he saw Benjamin and his mum walk in few minutes after Chike and Amara had left. However he was very diplomatic as he exchanged pleasantries with them, of course he had no choice than to be, even though his coloured face almost gave his feelings away. As my parents chatted with Benjamin and his mum, i felt like shedding tears. I never imagined nor dreamt that my dad would ever be an object of pity, lying in such a poor helpless position. Yea i wore a smiling face, but i was dead inside. I couldn’t help but wonder what was going through in Benjamin’s mind, his mother’s mind and even in Mike’s mind. Oh how terrible and devastated i was as the whole event unfolded. Benjamin and his mum later left. “be strong dear, most times challenges come to test our faith and courage, how we withstand it, is what truly matters in the end, there isn’t any need crying over split milk. Your dad is a strong Man” Benjamin’s mum had advised me as they got ready to leave. The good old lady was nothing but kindness. She also gave me three thousand Naira before leaving. Mike’s cold gaze rested on me as soon as they left, “please can we talk outside?” he said to me, forcing out a dry smile with which he confused my parents with.i knew he was dying of jealousy. “Why do Men always feel threatened over a minor issue?” i wondered Without another word, i stood up and followed him. We silently left the hospital building and stopped in front of a small kiosk just a stone throw away. “hmmm so why am i here?” i asked softly, folding my hands. He simply smiled, shrugged and stared at me searchingly. “is there anything i need to know?” he asked, provoking me with his annoying question. “don’t tell me you brought me all the way here just to ask if i have anything you need to know?” i fired back, trying hard to keep my feelings in check. He shrugged again, drew forward and held my left hand. “i was very surprised to see Benjamin and his mum today, why didn’t you tell me they were coming, or didn’t i deserve such information?” he asked. I kept quiet, refusing to answer him. “of course i know you won’t answer, i know you are always right in everything, but we are in a relationship, i’m your fiancee for God’s sake, i have privileges my dear, don’t you get it?” he asked, making me scoff with annoyance, “Benjamin’s visit equally came as a surprise to me, i never knew they were coming by that hour, so please stop preaching about privileges to me, because you are guilty as well or have you forgotten your Stella so soon eeh?” i answered with a raised tone. He rubbed his hair and face, turned and backed me nervously. “and how about the guy your friend showed up with earlier today, i couldn’t help but notice that you two do have something going on?” he asked, {still backing me} “what are you insinuating?, i can’t believe my ears” i screamed, “of course you won’t” he murmured. “fine believe whatever you like Mike, i don’t have the strength to argue with you this hot sunday” i shouted and ran back to the {hospital} ward, where mum gave me a curious look. Fortunately she asked no question. 3:15pm sunday I barely had settled in my room after a long strenous day at the hospital, with my mind boiling over Mike’s atitude when Amara came rushing into my room. “oh dear Cyndii, please permit me to give Chike your phone number, i don’t know what else to tell him. He has been insisting and you know he is my cousin please” she begged, throwing me into another state of confusion as i wondered what to tell my dear friend without sounding harsh nor easy. “Alright, okay you can give him my phone number, but please warn him not to bug me with it, moreover i think you should also tell him all about my life so that he won’t start nursing an impossible agenda” i said to Amara whose eyes quickly lit up in happiness. “no problem dear, i will warn him just as you want” she promised, before changing the topic and enquiring about my dad’s health. ____ Monday finally approached, starting like any other work day. I first rushed to school, attended two morning lectures before rushing over to the hospital to be with dad, while Mum travelled home. Watching over my bed-ridden dad really wasn’t as easy as it sounded, not only was it one of the most boring and sickening period of my life, it equally was one of the most terrifying moments of my young life. I suspected that the true nature of his health was being hidden from me. I saw life and death dancing sekelewu before my very eyes as they fought over one patient after another, bed by bed they danced, mr death snapping life out of any patient he so desired, not even those fit for discharge, declared hale and hearty by doctors were spared {if it was the patient’s turn}. You can’t imagine how anxious and scared i was as seconds, minutes, hours and days dragged by. wednesday morning I was on my way to school when my phone rang, i stared at the unknown number for a while before answering, “hello cyndii” i heard a familiar female voice greet, “hi good morning, please who am i speaking with?” i asked curiously, “oh dear, you are speaking with Stella, Mike’s friend” she answered effortlessly, while I recoiled in surprise and anger. I felt like cursing her that moment but i restrained myself because i was anxious to know what prompted the obnoxious girl to call me. What could she be calling me for? EPISODE 75 COMING UP Episode 75 “what do you want?” i asked, “where can we meet?” she asked, ignoring my question. “you are not serious” i murmured, “don’t you think it’s time we come to a sort of compromise?” i heard her ask, “your father!” i cursed, “yours is in the hospital abi?” she laughed, “don’t say i didn’t try to make peace with you oo, i have tried, but i think the bad blood in you won’t let you reason well” she hissed and hung up. I bit my lips, cursed silently and walked on. I soon heard a car horn, honk behind, startling me. I turned curiously, faintly recognizing Chike’s car as it pulled up by my side. “hmmm is this one stalking me or is it just a coincidence” i wondered. “hi cyndii, you are going to school right?, hop in, let me drop you” he offered, “oh no, don’t bother, i’m almost at the school gate” i replied polietly, “i insist dear, what are friends for?” he insisted. I shrugged, stared at him for a while before climbing into his car. He slowly drove into the school premises. “so how is your dad?” he asked seconds later, “he is fine” i answered, “i know i shouldn’t be asking you this due to your current situation, but is there any chance of us meeting after your lectures?” he asked, “what for?” i asked innocently, giving him a curious look which made him a bit uncomfortable. He shrugged and laughed. “nothing actually, i only feel like hanging out with you” he replied. “please take the next turn by your right, you will see a large hall, that’s where i’m heading to” i said instantly, directing him and changing the topic. “how about Amara?” he asked, “she dosen’t feel like attending lectures today, she’s probably sleeping in her room” i replied. He said nothing, until we got to the hall. He stopped his car, turned and stared at me. “i know this won’t be the first time you are hearing this from a guy, but i really do like you with all my heart. Please let’s be good friends and study each other, hope i’m not asking for much?” he gently proposed. I breathed deeply and returned his gaze, i really couldn’t make out any good answer for his request. I simply shrugged and opened the passenger’s door. His offer of friendship could literally mean anything. I wasn’t ready for another mind game. “there isn’t any problem being friends with you, moreover i think we already are” i replied calmly. He shrugged and smiled, “so how about we hang out after your lectures?” he asked again, “i think you are asking too much, i can’t promise you anything else, thanks for the ride” i replied, alighted from his car and headed for lectures. Mike however surprised me with his presence after lectures. As i left the lecture hall, i noticed his car parked almost at the same spot chike parked his, hours earlier. I slowed my pace and searched for him, i soon felt someone grab my right wrist, i turned to see him smiling at me. “what are you doing here?” i asked anxiously, a bit scared that perhaps he came with bad news from the hospital, “arn’t you supposed to be at work?” i asked curiously, “yes i’m, but you are equally very important to me, we really need to talk” he answered calmly. “talk what?” is there anything left for us to discuss?” i asked suspiciously, “let’s get into the car first” he smiled. I obeyed and followed him to his car. He quickly switched on the engine, reversed and drove out of the school premises. “where are we going?” i asked anxiously, “somewhere we could discuss without any noise” he replied, “i’m not going anywhere with you, just stop here and tell me whatever you want to” i commanded. He smiled, slowed and brought his car to a halt. “it’s all about Stella, she’s still at my place, i’m totally fed up” he poured out vehemently, making my heart leap. “she’s still in my apartment with my little daughter, i don’t know what to do.I suspect her brother is the brain behind it all, they are very determined to destroy my happiness and future, can you believe i’m yet to meet and discuss wìth the family because they keep on giving one excuse after another each time i try to reach out to them” he lamented. I felt bad hearing his speech and knowing that he was suffering in such manner. His feelings really reflected in him, i had no doubt he was telling the truth, but i also didn’t know what to say. Stella really was a very crafty young girl who could unleash mayhem without consideration. “cyndii dear, lately in every twenty four hours, i pass through an hour of anguish” he cried in a degrading manner. “i don’t know what to say, i really don’t” i murmured thoughtfully, “then don’t say anything my love” he replied quietly, “i only wanted to share my situation with you which i have done” he added. “i really think your parents will be in a better position to help you, some things are very much beyond us, but not beyond our parents. Elder’s they say can see things way above the ordinary, things we can’t see even when on top the tallest iroko tree” i advised, “i believe in destiny dear, i have already overlooked all your flaws and i believe that if it is written that we will be together, nothing will stop it from happening” i reached for his hand and assured him. He breathed deeply and bit his lips, “i really don’t understand you baby, sometimes you look at me with spite, treat me with disdain and behave as if you feel nothing for me, yet sometimes you display your love just like the morning rose, bringing brightness into my dark heart. I know i don’t deserve you after all i have done, but my love for you is really sincere, i can’t stand seeing you with another guy. I’m selfishly in love with you” he murmured and stared into my eyes. “to get to follow things my dear, don’t dwell in the past, your parents i think will be in a better position to help you” i advised all over again. *** My dad was discharged the following day, after spending many terrifying nights at the hospital. I was extremely happy and relieved. Mike was on hand to take my parents home with his car, he really was very helpful. A darling. “now i can sleep with both eyes closed” i said excitedly to Amara as we returned to our Lodge {from the hospital}. “no, no, no, wait a minute, don’t talk about sleep yet. We are first going to party tonight and celebrate” she hinted mischieveously, “hmmm party kwa?, where?” i asked. “we are clubbing tonight of course, come on girl, you have got to put on some light in your life” she giggled, “moreover Chike is offering to take us” she announced, making me stare at her suspiciously, “please stop looking at me like that jare, wetin be your own” she eyed me. I shook my head and smiled. _____ By 10pm, we marched out of our lodge and headed straight to Chike’s waiting car. After days of stress and anxiety, i really needed something to revive my spirit.However i couldn’t help but notice Chike’s confident smile as we entered his vehicle. Perhaps he thought i was already falling for him

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Denrele Cries Out- Goldie Keeps Appearing In My Dreams Saying You Know Who Killed me

Where have you been?