BETRAYAL EPISODE 74

EPISODE 74
I really had great fun at the club dancing myself to exhaustion. It really was wonderful, pushing aside my fears and worries to enjoy every moment of that night. It truly was a wild night. “i’m so glad to see happiness back on your face” Amara giggled as we danced. Chike truly behaved like a gentleman, he never made any silly remark nor behaved inappropriately . I just felt happy, throwing decency to the wind as i danced. I really can’t say what went into me that fateful night. For the first time i discarded my identity, though it only was for few hours. What a long happy night it was. Seriously clubs are where we get to live another life without anyone raising eyebrow at you. ___ “i’m glad you girls are happy” Chike murmured as he drove us back to our lodge by 6:40am. I looked out of the window and smiled quietly. He really had insisted on taking us to his apartment when we left the club by 3:15am, citing security reasons. It really didn’t go
down well with me, but i accepted after Amara pleaded and assured me that nothing silly would happen. Just like she assured me, Chike behaved himself when we got to his plush apartment. I opted to rest in the sitting room, while Amara had no choice than to stay with me, she cuddled herself on a long couch and soon fell asleep. I sat on a smaller one, crossed my legs and waited for dawn. By 6:15am i woke Amara, who grumbled before going over to Chike’s room to drag him out. He drove us back to our lodge minutes later. But on getting to the lodge i was extremely surprised to see Mike standing by his car. I couldn’t believe my eyes, nor think of what could bring him to my lodge by that hour. I was simply dumbfounded, i felt like dodging, but had no choice than to alight from Chike’s car. The time was 6:55am. “so this is what you do?, just hours after your parents left the hospital?” Mike asked, casting a terrible glance at my clothes. I equally wasn’t appropriately dressed “I came to see you before going to work, but what did i get. The gateman tells me you and your friend spent the night out” he said angrily. “i’m sorry dear, I just wanted to ease up stress by clubbing” i apologized, “who is that guy?” he asked, “Amara’s cousin” i replied, “that’s not what i’m asking” he murmured, “what really are his intentions towards you?” he asked. I frowned and stared at him. “don’t insult me please, what are you insinuating?” i asked, “i know he is buying his time” he said to himself, getting me a little confused. “please let’s go to my room, i’m very tired” i begged, “no i’m almost late for work, but i will be here before 5:30pm” he promised, forcing out a smile. “alright dear, thanks for helping us yesterday” i thanked and hugged him. “it’s my obligation, your family is mine also” he replied. _____ I called mum as soon as i got to my room and enquired about my dad. I was glad they were all okay. I smiled happily and fell on my bed. “i will be harvesting my cassava tomorrow. The ones planted behind Udoka’s compound” she informed me, “nawao! Arn’t you supposed to rest this weekend?” i asked with disbelief, “no dear, there isn’t any garri left in the house and you know your dad prefers home-made. I will rest today, then tomorrow i do the harvest, peel, wash and grind them against monday when i will do the frying” she explained. “oh mum, you are really stressing yourself too much. Anyway i will be home very early tomorrow to assist you” i promised and hung up. I took my bath and slept off, waking by 4pm to prepare indomie and egg which i took with a bottle of coke. I was about opening a novel i borrowed from a coursemate, when i heard knocks on my door. I rose up and opened my door. It was Amara with Chike by her side. I really wasn’t pleased to see him but what could i do?. “don’t tell me you are still sleeping lazy girl?” Amara asked searchingly, “it’s 5:30 already” she laughed. I allowed them into my room, settled on my bed with Amara, while Chike sat quietly on my reading chair. He grabbed the novel i earlier was about reading and focused his attention on it. “hmmm BEDDED OR WEDDED by Julia James” he read out the title, drawing out my curiousity. “do you like romance novels” i asked without thinking, “yea i love literature with passion, i’m a great fan of romance and crime novels, but i prefer crime more, however it dosen’t stop me from staying awake all night to read a good romance story especially when it’s from Harlequin or Silhouette authors" he explained fluently. I was impressed, but just that moment i heard a knock on my door. I glanced at my wall clock and breathed deeply. I opened the door for Mike who slowly entered my room, gasped with surprise as his eyes fell on Amara and Chike. He stared at Chike longer than necessary before forcing out a smile and shaking him {in greeting}. I nervously breathed deeply, while Amara’s face coloured up with tension. We were all uncomfortable. To ease up tension, i walked up to Mike and held his waist. My action calmed him a great deal, but made Amara give me a weird look while Chike looked away, focusing his attention back on the book he was holding. “how was work?” i asked him, “stressful, i came running here as soon as we closed for the day” he replied with a calm smile. “i have to get going, it’s getting late” Chike instantly announced, stood and nodded at Amara who dutifully stood and held him. “i’m leaving with him dear, you know we came together” she smiled. I shrugged and nodded. “i will get some Romance novels for you tomorrow” Chike added, giving Mike a nervous glance. “i won’t be around tomorrow, i will be travelling home” i replied, “okay by next week then, safe journey in advance” he laughed and left with Amara. __ “hmmm you know this is how it all starts, i don’t want to see that guy ever in your room or with you anywhere” Mike said seriously, annoying me with his words. I broke free from him, went to my door and locked it. “i really do care about you very well, you may not notice what is happening, but that guy is trying to force his way into your life” he lectured. “enough please” i shouted angrily, “please learn how to check what you say, you are getting me angry” i warned and backed him. He drew close to me, gently held my shoulders and caressed them softly. My hormones awoke, much to my dismay. His touch melted my heart and weakened me. It really has been long i last had sex. My nipp.les rose and grew hard, my head overflowed with cravings. Calmly he drew closer, resting his chest on my back. I felt his heartbeat. “my heart, my queen” he moaned, turning me to face him. We stared at each other, i saw deep passion in his eyes. I was lost, i was captivated, my feelings ran wild. I wanted sex, i wanted it hot and quick. Bringing down his lips, he kissed me softly. My heart was with him, my body was his, but suddenly i felt something strange engulf me. I felt nauseous, i felt sick. The fearful feelings i had when i got the news of Dad’s accident returned. It appeared as if the evil wind of misfortune was back in my room. I broke free from him and covered my face with my palms. “what’s wrong my dear?” he asked, “i’m scared, really really scared” i confessed. He smiled and hugged me reassuringly, murmuring sweet words of reassurance into my ears. I loved him very much, i wanted to be with him for the rest of my life, but i felt something wasn’t just right, something i couldn’t fathom. “i think it’s better we keep our feelings and body in check, at least till you sort out your relationship with Stella. Let’s give each other a little break please” i heard myself beg, but my words had a terrible effect on him. For a minute he couldn’t say anything. “is it necessary dear?, i hope it’s not because of that guy who just left here that you are asking for us to give each other a break?” he asked seriously, upsetting me with his presumptuous question. I violently pushed him. I felt insulted and humiliated. “perhaps to him i can have feelings for any guy who happened to show interest in me. “am i that cheap in his eyes?” i wondered with disgust. “i’m very sorry, i’m just confused. This is so absurd” he protested, “i have made my decision, you just have to take it with good faith” i replied. “but why make such decision now? Why are you doing this?” he asked seriously. I breathed deeply and stared into his eyes. “i really don’t understand the reason you are behaving the way you are. I only asked for us not to get sexually involved with each other till we sort our problems out. What’s so bad in asking for a break? It’s not as if i’m asking you not to visit me again” i murmured seriously, “you asked for a break Cyndii. No matter how you twist your words, i still understand your intentions. I’m so hurt right now” he replied unhappyly, “i’m sorry but i really can’t change my decision” i murmured. He shook his head, tapped his feet thrice on the floor and stormed out of my room without another word. His behaviour really was very rude, it shocked me a great deal. I fell on my bed and thought over my decision. ____** I was home on time the next day to assist mum with all the chores she planned doing. She was very pleased to see me. Together we went to the farm, harvested cassava, peeled, washed and grinded the tubers. “you are truly a wonderful daughter. I know many campus girls hate travelling home on weekends because of house chores. God bless you dear” she prayed as we prepared breadfruit {ukwa in igbo language} which was to be our night meal. “Mike told me sometime ago that he loves eating breadfruit, he said it’s very expensive and hard to get in town” she said moments later. I nodded and kept quiet, strugging hard to keep myself from opening up to her. I wanted to tell her my fears and problems, but just couldn’t. It’s true she knew about Mike’s child, but what she didn’t know was the kind of person the child’s mother was. I felt it was Mike’s responsiblity to open up to my parents, perhaps with his. I truly didn’t want to spoil things for him or make him look bad in front of anybody. “i will keep out some for him. Tomorrow evening you will help me deliver the food to him, he really helped us on thursday” mum said minutes later, breaking my thoughts. I wanted to object but held myself. By 5:45pm sunday evening, i arrived at Mike’s apartment with my bag and a flask containing the breadfruit mum prepared the previous day. I really didn’t call to inform him that i was coming, because i had a flat battery. I used up my battery the previous evening. So i really was extremely relieved to see his car parked beside the apartment, which suggested that he was around. I had to first come over to his place from the bus stop instead of going to my lodge because it was more convenient for me. Stella answered my knock two minutes later. I wasn’t shocked when She opened the door, but what shocked me was the words that came out from her mouth. She instantly closed the door behind her as soon as she saw me and faced me arrogantly like a hungry wolf. “you again?, why are you so keen at destroying my happiness? You will get old waiting for my Mike to marry you. Do you think i will raise my daughter without her father huh? Moreover we are back together and nothing we set us apart again” she barked murderously, pushing me in the process. Perhaps if not for Mike’s timely intervention by showing up that moment, things could have gotten more ugly. But her words had the desired effect on me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Denrele Cries Out- Goldie Keeps Appearing In My Dreams Saying You Know Who Killed me

Where have you been?